[Xen-users] Isolated Device Domain and I/O Spaces in Xen 3

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Isolated Device Domain and I/O Spaces in Xen 3
From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:36:40 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:41:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

First excuse me for sending this question twice (I've already asked it
in the "A few newbie questions about Xen devices" thread, but it has
been hijacked and I suppose I have better chances to get replies by
writing smaller mail with an appealing subject).

I've read thoroughly the document entitled "Safe Hardware Access with
the Xen Virtual Machine Monitor" [1].

- Regarding IDD:
According to slide 49 in [4], Isolated Driver Domain (IDD) have only
been implemented experimentaly but is not used at all in the current
official releases of Xen 3.  Are there any plans about this?

- Regarding I/O Spaces:
Currently, Virtual Block Devices (VBD) and Virtual (Network) Interfaces
(VIF) are the most common way to provide storage and network devices
within Xen PV guests.  It is yet possible to assign exclusively a PCI
device to any one DomU, in which case the DomU's driver talks to the
hardware through the "Safe Hardware Interface" (see figure 1 in [2]),
enforced by I/O Spaces, as described in [2] section 4.  Am I right?

Thank you.
Best regards,

[1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/papers/2004-oasis-ngio.pdf
[2] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/papers/2005-xen-ols.ppt