Re: [Xen-users] Is upgrade DomU can broke my XEN box ?

To: linuxmasterjedi@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is upgrade DomU can broke my XEN box ?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:12:39 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:09:37 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=sqwBmC4j+jAk3OCDqS3uUfKoQAvio0xGNmIVkjPsV5o=; b=S7+y4ie2TAuaWI1SvupU25eZADnRrbDLdau4VEIwOj7NqUr7CeHfIUP90QCtTBQlK/zzsrUpqy8za0Er+Y6htULRS2Hte5038VbPOrfQ22TXhJBhMGwdFz36uqBXpLWaOluKUBib2QZdbquFRrPksQ1CqZerUh0WuSY4nDWyzpU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
linuxmasterjedi@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

  I'm running for servers with RHEL 5.1 XEN on it. On each of them, I'm running
2 big Para-Virt RHEL 5.1 also.

  I would like to know if someday, RedHat decide to upgrade the kernel and make
a RHEL 5.2 for example. If I upgrade DomU to 5.2 with a new Xen Kernel, it will
broke all my Para-Virt RHEL 5.1 machines ?
RedHat publishes minor kernel and software upgrades on a frequent basis, as bugs and security issues get revealed. RedHat, like SuSE and other commercial vendors, guarantees cross-compatibility and support for particular release's software as long as you stay within that release. So othe kernel updates should be compatible with the Xen release at RedHat.

This can drive you nuts if you need to jump up a significant version to get necessary features. But staying within the RHEL 5.x published packages should work well.
  If I do the opposite, keep RHEL 5.1 XEN on DomU and upgrade the Xen kernel
inside a Para-Virt machine, is my machine will also broken ?
See above. RedHat is selling Xen support, so they should be good about not breaking clients who have RHEL 5.x on the server and RHEL 5.x on the client, even as one is updated and not the other.

  In clear, how are XEN "relationships" between guest & host ? Are they easily
breakable? What are the common rules in that area?

  thanks by advance,
It Depends(tm). If you manually download the very latest Xen source tarball and lay it on top of the RHEL published RPM's, you're going to break things. If you're using fully virtualized DomU's, they should be fairly immune from Dom0 changes, barring some major Xen upgrade that seriously changes the drivers expected by the DomU.