Re: [Xen-users] Resizing partitions on a VM sitting on a LVM volume

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Resizing partitions on a VM sitting on a LVM volume
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:50:25 +0000
Cc: Alain BARTHE <alain.barthe@xxxxxxxx>, Erich Weiler <weiler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:51:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Erich,

> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
>   1      32.3kB  107MB   107MB   primary   ext3         boot
>   2      107MB   10.6GB  10.5GB  primary   ext3
>   3      10.6GB  19.0GB  8390MB  primary   linux-swap
>   4      19.0GB  24.0GB  5017MB  extended
>   5      19.0GB  24.0GB  5017MB  logical   ext3
>
> (parted) resize 4 19.0GB 64.4GB
> (parted) resize 5 19.0GB 64.4GB
> Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled.
>
> So I can resize partition 4 with no problems, but can't resize partition
> 5 because of that error.  It clearly sees that the 'disk' has more space
> now.  Anyone know why I can't resize the filesystem/partition this way?

Partition 4 is an "easy" one to resize since it's just the extended partition
and doesn't have a filesystem of its own.

Partition 5 is formatted with ext3.  parted isn't liking this but i think
that's because it's having trouble resizing the ext3 filesystem, rather than
because it can't resize the partition itself.

Is the filesystem mounted at the time?  Maybe it can't be live-resized?

Cheers,
Mark

> I tried deleting the whole partition and re-creating it with the bigger
> size, then re-creating the ext3 file system in it, and that works.  But
> when I do that I lose all my data obviously, so I'd like to be able to
> just use the 'resize' command in parted....
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> -erich

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!