Re: [Xen-users] xen admin interface

Thanks a million everybody,

Just a quick one could this be used also? http://www.openqrm.org/

Kind regards
Per Qvindesland
On Jan 2, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Ofek Doron [Ofek BIZ] wrote:

Hi,

for management of large implementation  take a look at : openqrm.org

I didn't try it, but it's look like a solution for management of virtual env.

- Doron

Mark Williamson wrote:
I am a newbie when it comes to Xen so please excuse my low level of
knowledge.

No problem.  Welcome ;-)

We are looking at replacing our vmware esx servers and xen seems to be
an interesting choice, but after having installed an ubuntu server
with xen which seems to work fine but daily administration seems to be
a night mare, is there any gui that is simple to use and access, the
internal joke in the company is that the cleaning lady must be able to
use it :) and also how can we take snapshots easily preferably from
the same gui (if any) ?

Does anyone have any pointers for me?

My experience of Ubuntu's Xen support (and that I've heard from others) hasn't
been that great, to be honest.

CentOS 5.1 / RHEL 5.1 / Fedora <whatever> include an administrative tool
called "virt-manager" to make creating and administering guests nicer.  I've
used it quite a bit; it's a bit rough in some places, and some functionality
is not available yet.  Nevertheless, it's actually a pretty nice tool.

Various other folks do open source Xen management tools.  If you're switching
from ESX, though, you could probably afford one of the commercial Xen-based
hypervisor products (from XenSource, VirtualIron, Sun or Oracle) that are now
available or going to become available.  RedHat's offering is like RH Linux +
Virtualisation, whereas the other products are "hypervisor appliance"-style.
Suse Enterprise Linux and OpenSuse offer Xen solutions too but I don't really
know what these are like from a user perspective.

Various manufacturers (RedHat?, Novell, XenSource, VirtualIron) already offer
Windows driver packs to improve Windows guest IO performance - as part of a
subscription from their paying customers, I think.  Some community developers
(and a guy from Oracle, I think) are working on some GPL-licensed Windows
drivers which should be stable at some point in the future.

Final suggestion: there's always the option of something like the free VMware
Server.

This isn't an inclusive list but I hope I've helped give you some ideas.

Cheers,
Mark

--

P Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail