Re: [Xen-users] Problems converting FC8 HVM guest to PV

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems converting FC8 HVM guest to PV
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:31:46 +0000
Cc: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:32:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Wine is one of those badly behaved glibc negative segment offset programs.
> It's painful enough waiting for it to load in dom0. I'd hate to see what it
> does in a domu.

I guess it could be provoking a bug due to that behaviour.  I'm inclined to
hazard a guess that it's something to do with Wine's use of segments.  That's
just a not-very-educated guess though, so I could be wrong there!

> If you want to debug this further, post your hvm config. The way sdl grabs
> the mouse pointer drives me crazy.

You could use VNC instead?  Although *not* having grabbing can make Linux
guests awkward to deal with (Windows guests can use the USB tablet emulation
to make grabless operation work sensibly).

> > 3 - The sdl window hangs up at the anacron boot message, which is normal
> > on the FC8 Dom0 (after FC8 messes up the serial console and inittab).
>
> Somebody correct the syntax if this is wrong, but appending 'console=tty
> console=xvc0' to your domu's grub's kernel line may help.

The console=xvc0 won't help for an HVM domain because xvc0 isn't there; you'd
need it in a PV guest though.

console=tty ought to help get all appropriate boot output, I'd have thought.

You might want to check inittab starts the correct gettys to give you a login
on tty1 (e.g. that it's not doing something silly like just starting a getty
on /dev/xvc0 or /dev/ttyS0 or something like that).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!