Re: [Xen-users] Installing ubuntu as domU on Suse SLES dom0

To: Russell Horn <albanach@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing ubuntu as domU on Suse SLES dom0
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:09:39 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:05:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mo, Dez 10, 2007 at 04:50:01 +0000, Russell Horn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for pointers to install an ubuntu 6 LTS domU on my suse
> enterprise 10 dom0 running xen 3.1
>
> What's the easiest way to do this? Can I boot an install CD in /dev/dvd
>
> I have installed ubuntu as a test locally. I thought perhaps I could
> just copy the partition for my working install here, so I used dd to
> cop the partition and moved it to the Suse box. I then used dd to
> extract the partition copy to a new LVM drive /dev/system/ubuntu_lts
>
> I'm not sure how to get this to be bootable though. If i try a config
> file like this:
>
> name="ubuntu"
> memory=512
> vcpus=2
> on_crash="destroy"
> on_poweroff="destroy"
> on_reboot="destroy"
> localtime=0
> kernel="/ubuntu/vmlinuz-xenpae"
> disk=[ 'phy:/dev/system/ubuntu_lts,hda,w']
> root = '/dev/hda'
> vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:6a:b4:43', ]
> nographic=1
>
> I just get:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Does anyone one the list have any suggestions?

Hello,

Try to specify no only kernel, but initrd (ramdisk) also.
You can do it with a line like this:

ramdisk="/ubuntu/initrd.img-xenpae"

(of course, you must specify correct name of ramdisk)

Also, make sure that you can mount /dev/system/ubuntu_lts
in the dom0 (to be sure, that you haven't damaged it during
transmition).

Regarding your question
"""
Can I boot an install CD in /dev/dvd?
"""

yes, you can, but only if you have an HVM-capable system.
(if your system is not HVM capable you may also boot cd,
and install system from it, but the CD must be modified to
be able to run in the PV mode. I suppose, that this is not
a good option for you for this time.)

> Thanks,
>
> Russell

WBR, i.m.chubin