Re: [Xen-users] FreeBSD domU

To: sanket hase <shase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] FreeBSD domU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:29:29 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:30:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

Just a heads-up: it's better if you just post to xen-users or xen-devel
initially, and then post to the other one if you think you made the wrong
decision.

> I have a vanilla FreeBSD kernel. I want to patch it to make it domU
> kernel. How do I patch it ?

There are some details about the Xen port on the FreeBSD wiki, here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen

It looks like the Xen architecture code is in a Perforce (p4) repository
called //projects/xen3.  It looks like the Freebsd p4 repositories live here:
http://perforce.freebsd.org/

I remember that it was still in a separate repository because there was still
some integration work required to make the Xen drivers play nicely with
Newbus, so the code wasn't clean enough to be in mainline FreeBSD.

From the wiki page it sounds like the code mightn't work with newer GCCs and
that there are some other bugs present.  There also seems to be a patch on
the wiki adding Xen support if you don't want to use perforce, although I
don't know how up-to-date it is.

> Need I make any changes to that image /config  to boot it up with
> xen0linux.

I'm afraid I'm not a FreeBSD user and have never built a FreeBSD kernel.  It
sounds like although much of the code required for FreeBSD to work on Xen has
been written, it's not quite finished and it's not going to be very easy to
get a kernel up and running on Xen.

Googling around may find you other information, some of which will be
outdated.  This howto: http://www.yuanjue.net/xen/howto.html supplies some
example kernels and some instructions, but it doesn't say what version of Xen
it works with.  Also, last time I did try to load a FreeBSD kernel in Xen I
had some compatibility issues with the domain builder and couldn't make it
load. :-(

Basically, most of the code required to run FreeBSD on Xen is at least
available, although not integrated with the latest and greatest FreeBSD code
because it's still in a separate repository and hasn't made much visible
progress in a while.  For a sufficiently motivated hacker who's potentially
willing to fiddle with the Xen domain builder it may be possible to get it
booting.  But I would expect it to be a bit of an involved project.

Sorry not to be more positive.  I hope that in the future someone will be able
to finish off the FreeBSD port in order to make this all easier to work with.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!