Re: [Xen-users] Install Debian Guest on SLES10

To: marcus <marcus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install Debian Guest on SLES10
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:22:21 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:18:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I tried your suggestion but also the same problem. Ok lets say it this way,
> I can connect via VNC to the debian domain...but is it possible to start a
> xen patched kernel in debian. I mean the kernel which is normal included in
> debian  via apt-get or is the SLES included Xen  kernel only usable.

Yes, you can.

You can install Debian in HVM mode,
after that install PV-kernel in it
and run the domain in PV mode
either with pygrub, or
copying installed PV kernel (and initrd)
out of the domain U somewhere to the domain 0
and specifying it in the domain U config file.

Also, you could use your old PV installation
(which you have made already using debootstrap),
mount it, chroot into it,
and after that apt-get install xenified kernel
in the chrooted environment
and copy it out of the domain U to the domain U.

(this allows you to use not SuSE initrd and kernel,
which you have tried to use before, but use the Debian
kernel and initrd instead of it)

Excuse my bad English.
I understand that it's hard to understand ideas that I want to
express in it.

> Or is it possible to install the domU with the original debian cd/dvd?
> It tried this twice but the domU hangs always at a different state of
> installation.

Yes, this is possible.

What are the states of installation where the domain hangs?

> The config looks like this:
>
> ostype="test3"
> name="test3"
> memory=1024
> vcpus=1
> on_crash="destroy"
> on_poweroff="destroy"
> on_reboot="restart"
> localtime=1
> builder="hvm"
> extid=0
> device_model="/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> boot="d"
> disk=[ 'file:/vm/domains/debian-4-testing/disk0,hda,w',
> 'file:/data/images/Debian-4/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso,hdc:cdrom,r', ]
> vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:07:c1:8c,model=rtl8139,type=ioemu', ]
> vnc=1
> vncunused=1

As for me the config is ok.
Can't see something wrong in it.

PS. Please, can you send me bootlog (if it is possible for this
time, and you haven't destroyed that installation yet) where you try to
start PV Debian with xencons=tty kernel option?

> Thank you!
>
> Regars Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Herz