Re: [Xen-users] Multi-bridged system or run services on Dom0?

To: Tom Lobato <tomlobato@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multi-bridged system or run services on Dom0?
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:17:35 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:48:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Lobato wrote:

   Hello all!

I'm new to XEN and would like to hear your opinions about a little project.
   I have to build two servers:
       - Win2003 application server (with terminal service).
- Linux (debian etch) (firewall, net load-balancing/failover, proxy-cache and Firebird DB server) connected to two internet links.
   My hardware: PowerEdge 840, 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA Disk, 3 NICs.

I`ve already made several tests with XEN/etch/win2003, but now I will reinstall all definitively.

My plan is to run Xen/Etch as dom0 and full virtualize win2003 (dom1) and etch (dom2).
   The main question is about the networking of such system.
Dom2 (debian etch) need to access the two internet links and the LAN (10.0.0.0/8). Will have 3 virtual ethernet cards. Dom1 (Win2003) just need to access the LAN. Will have just 1 virtual ethernet card. On Dom0, LAN will be connected via eth0, internet link 1 via eth1 and internet link 2 via eth2. My question: will I have to setup, beyond xenbr0, more two bridges (xenbr2 and xenbr3)? xenbr2 inter-connecting dom2 eth1 to dom0 eth1. And xenbr3 inter-connecting dom2 eth2 to dom0 eth2.

Preferred way is to created three bridges using each physical interfaces and assign virtual devices to bridges according to your requirements. Eg, bridge eth0 and eth1 of a geust to bridge1 and eth2 of the guest to bridge2.

You can see some more details on my blogs. http://sadiquepp.blogspot.com/

--Sadique

Is it a good solution or would be better to run the functions of dom2 (virtualized debian etch) on Dom0 itself? I think I will not need STP on 3 bridges, since it does not need direct communication. Am I right?

   Any hints are welcome.

   Sorry for the long msg =)
   Thank you!

   Tom Lobato