Re: [Xen-users] boot from cd

To: Marco Strullato <marco.strullato@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] boot from cd
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:27:14 +0530
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:58:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marco Strullato wrote:
Hi all,

I have a stupid question: how can I boot a guest from cd? (my vm is a linux paravirtualized)

I don't know why you need to actually boot a paravirtulized guest from cdrom. But If I have to go to rescue mode of a paravirtualized guest, I used to do something like the below one. The example is only applicable for RHEL/Fedora/Centos, I don't know how best this can be suited for other distros.

Download the images/xen/{vmlinuz, initrd.img} from the distro source to /var/lib/xen/images.
Add the below lines to the guest configuration file.

kernel = "/var/lib/xen/images/vmlinuz"
ramdisk = "/var/lib/xen/images/initrd.img"
extra = "rescue"

Comment out the line starting by "pygrub = ".

Boot the guest as usual and specify nfs/http/ftp repo as the rescue source.

It had worked very nicely for me. Is there any other requirements that compells you to boot a PV guest from cdrom except to go to rescue mode?

--Sadique

Thanks

Marco