[Xen-users] Ethernet has Alzheimers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Ethernet has Alzheimers
From: Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:31:32 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:32:30 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:date:x-mailer:from; bh=Yiz6zNdo6NlN8g0GMO7nMXQRtWDvNJ51I/cf8KeniHY=; b=E9uYoVKWKRTphGMQrTGm0mF7Nh723vnnoe8SSjGWVCz6tkYhYk6ecfhl/IoKYASddxnaL+t8C144VfNFwwxl0PIQTrtWW+uH0aeApWX99s8bgY3OZNy71yjBUSlIfcrETPOZAHUHjTx4b5k1rhq6b/BpTs/CTiFxEbDRfuh/aGY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This may be a XEN problem, a Linux problem, or a driver problem, or a setup problem, I don't know what, and we're about at our wits' end. Any and all help and thoughts appreciated.

This machine is currently getting very little traffic (because it is being set up). After some time of no activity, it refuses to talk to me from home (ping, ssh, http, anything ..) However, talking to it from another server on the local subnet works fine.

The kicker: after I have talked to it from the subnet, it THEN again immediately talks to anybody, regardless from where.
Until something times out. The "something" is my problem.

Funnily enough, this behavior is the exact same for dom0 and all domu's, and independent from each other: I might be able to talk to a domu just fine, while at the same time, it refuses to talk to me on dom0 -- both of which run over the same network card! They all have different IP addresses.

A lot of debugging seems to indicate that the interface "forgets" it IP address after nobody talked to it for a while. It appears that the traffic arrives but the box ignores it. It also appears that broadcast messages on the subnet (particular ARP) make it "remember". The difference in behavior between local and remote client might be accounted for the fact that the router to the subnet has a longer ARP cache timeout than any local server.

Running Debian etch 2.6.18-5-xen-amd64 on a KN9 SLI motherboard that includes Nvidia dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board.

Thank you if you have any insights!!!

Johannes.