[Xen-users] Network routing performance problem

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Network routing performance problem
From: Ralf Müller <ralf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:09:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:10:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello out there,

I've stumbled over a strange problem with my Xen setup. Using Xen 3.1 on OpenSuSE 10.3 I installed several domU's. One of them - called "gate" - is acting as a router between two xen bridges - xenbr0 and xenbr1.

When using scp from a domU, which has to route via "gate" because it is only bound to xenbr0, to a system connected via ethernet to peth1 I get extremely low transfer rates - down to 10kB/sec.

Transfers to this system are as fast.
Transfers of physical systems via "gate" are fast in any direction.
Transfers between domU's are fast - ok they don't have to use "gate", as all of them are bond to xenbr0.
Transfers to and from "gate" are fast.

Just transfers to physical systems, via "gate" from a domU are slow as hell.

There is no firewall activated, there is no traffic shaper. Using flood ping I can't see loss of packets.

Does anybody out there has an idea where to look for a solution of this problem?
Thanks Ralf