RE: [Xen-users] PV on Centos 5 64-bit

To: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] PV on Centos 5 64-bit
From: "Jens-Petter Salvesen" <jens-petter.salvesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:35:18 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:36:08 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nico wrote:
>Jens-Petter Salvesen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a very difficult time getting paravirtualized Xen running
>> on Centos 5 64bit and I'm hoping someone can spot what I'm doing
wrong.
>> I've been attemping to do this for a few days now and I'm really not
>> seeing what I'm doing wrong.
>>
>> Here's what I've done:
>>
>> 1. Installed Centos 5 64-bit on the Dom0
>> 2. Installed a fully
>> virtualized DomU running Centos 5 64-bit.
>> 3. Created a new configuration file that will create a
paravirtualized >
>> DomU
>Why aren't you using virt-install? Did you want to duplicate the
virtual system entirely?

I would prefer to be able to select upon boot-time if the VM is going to
run as fully virtualized or paravirtualized. That would enable me to
evaluate both solutions. I thought that it was possible to just make two
different config files that boot two different kernels for the same VM?

To my understanding, a fully virtualized VM must _not_ run a xen-enabled
kernel while a paravirtualized VM _requires_ a compatible xen-enabled
kernel. Is this correct?

>Also, if you're using pygrub, you don't have to state a kernel. I don't
know if it breaks things, but it's confusing at best.

I know. That kernel= statement is just a leftover from debugging.

Best regards,
Jens-Petter Salvesen