Re: [Xen-users] does live migration require a cluster aware filesystem?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] does live migration require a cluster aware filesystem?
From: "Tomoki Taniguchi" <tomoki.taniguchi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:00:56 +0900
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 04:01:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=dco+ZKDTr08tJE1b6ad+INhRZBpCUVzfGjwa/wA5t5k=; b=G3N9IQiiAY3yh3K23eeLUsKpCcpCsmAls/BdXm/nsPyYYL0KB/mb2YF03GNnJ3JySzMogENgza2TOWz34YKagYfT/wQhvO+fz6odOfo6C2tMWJLKcw+JaicYd3vX4EyXc/EXtVaBx013vVfrzYWryCtF8H9ju8mZDwz/wzSLRVU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Nov 6, 2007 4:41 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> > I can't seem to get find a straight answer to this question,
> > so i decided to ask it directly.
> >
> > If i want to do a live migration between two xen servers which has the
> > domainU
> > filesystem shared to them using nbd, does the filesystem have to be
> > cluster aware like
> > gfs?  or can it be ext3 since technically the two servers should never
> > be writing to
> > the filesystem at the same time?
> >
> If you store domU disks as files on dom0, then yes, you need a cluster
> file system.
> If you store domU disks as LVM (or other block device) on dom0, then no.
> Both dom0 involved in migration simply need to have access to the same
> block device. For example, you can have a server exporting LVs via
> iscsi, and several dom0's using them as domU storage.

thank you.  can i assume this applies to nbd shared devices as well?

> > I was thinking since windows servers with ntfs filesystems doesn't
> > seem to have a problem,
> >

> Really? Are you saying that two windows servers can mount the same
> ntfs-formatted block device at the SAME TIME without a problem?

no what i mean is that it is possible to do a live migration of windows
domUs. and as far as i know NTFS is not cluster-aware.  so it stands
to reason that ext3 should be able to with stand a live migration as well.

> Regards,
>
> Fajar

Tomoki Taniguchi