[Xen-users] dom0-cpus parameter not taking effect on quad-core intel und

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] dom0-cpus parameter not taking effect on quad-core intel under debian etch
From: Imre Oolberg <imre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:17:44 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 07:17:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hallo!

I have used Xen 3.0.3 packaged with Debian Etch on 64bit platform and
with AMD dual-core Opteron processors successfully for some time,
overcoming the known problem of starting domUs locking down the computer
by using in xend-config.sxp a line

(dom0-cpus 1)

To see if this line takes effect i look after starting Xen under
/proc/cpuinfo and see there only one processor.

Doing the very same configuration with the same software on 2xquad-core
intel processor computer (on HP ProLiant BL 460c G1) i get 5 processors

bash# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor
processor       : 0
processor       : 4
processor       : 5
processor       : 6
processor       : 7

cpuid says that processor is

Extended brand string: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5355  @ 2.66GHz"

If someone could give an explaination i'd be thankful! Its true, 3.0.3
xen is quite old but i care about package management and until now cant
complain about it satifying my needs.

Best regards,

Imre