Re: [Xen-users] Xen Novell rpm does not start Dom0 on my openSuse 10.2

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Novell rpm does not start Dom0 on my openSuse 10.2
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 03:11:09 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:12:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 24 October 2007 22:47:13 Roman Kellner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have serveral questions concering xen.
>
> I installed the Novell xen-3.1.0-1.i686.rpm
> <http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.1.0/kernel-3.1-opensuse1
>0x/RPMS/i686/xen-3.1.0-1.i686.rpm> and
> kernel-xen-2.6.18-3.1.0.i686.rpm
> <http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.1.0/kernel-3.1-opensuse1
>0x/RPMS/i686/kernel-xen-2.6.18-3.1.0.i686.rpm> on my openSuse 10.2

I can't seem to find these RPMs. It looks like the Xensource website(s)
are undergoing a few changes with the Citrix acquisition. You might be
better off looking at openSUSE 10.3 - as it ships with Xen 3.1 and the
2.6.22 kernel.

> System and tried to start. What I got was a "Mismatch between Xen and
> Dom0 Kernel" panic (See pict).
> What did I do wrong or do the rpm files not really work/match?

I see that error message, however there's not much more information to
go on, so would have to go with the opinion that there is a mismatch.
Not sure why or where (as I can't get the files you referenced)

> Hence I installed the sources and compiled them all (?). After also
> compiling the hmvloader with the dev86 package and installing it all,
> I was able to start Dom0 (seem to work fine so far) and to start DomU
> in order to install a native WinXP from the CD-Rom. The Dom0 Window
> pops up for some seconds and disappears again, not long enough to
> read anything (according to the log due to poweroff; who did
> poweroff?).
> I something  must still be wrong, but what? Appreciate any help/idea!

Not sure to be honest - memory maybe? Do you even see the equivalent of
the BIOS screen?

> And last but not least. One of the reasons why am doing all this,
> besides of getting to know xen, is that a have a windows slideshow
> program running on VMWare with a very poor video performance
> (flickering picts instead of alphablending, messy timing). My hope
> was, that with xen and Pacifica I could get near native performance.
> Does anyone have experience with xen/Pacifica and video perfomance?
> Does it get near to native WindowsXP?

The video performance is nowhere near native Windows XP. A lot of the
effort for Xen (certainly in openSUSE and SLES) is centred around
virtualising servers rather than desktops. It will be interesting to
see how the Citrix acquisition of Xensource changes this if at all.
Currently you get a emulated graphics adapter, which in my experience
runs slower than the VMware emulated adapter. It's a constantly
changing story though, and there are advances being made in this and
other areas, however I'm led to believe that accelerating the video
performance is one of the most difficult parts of Xen, whereas at the
moment a lot of effort is going into improving disk and network I/O
from hardware assisted virtualisation by the use of para-virtual
drivers for network and disk devices.

Jon