Re: [Xen-users] Xen with NIC Bonding on Debian Etch ?

John Madden wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 16:04 +0200, Artur Mücke wrote:
Unfortunately its not working yet but I dont know why. This is what I
did, after I read your howto and (kind of) understood it:

The configuration looks different in debian but I think that doesnt
care.

/etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386
=========================
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=0

It may be significant that mode=0 is different from mode=6. This may
become significant on an ethernet bridge, where you're already horking
with layer 2 (MAC's) and the failure you're seeing sounds like an ARP
problem, so...

I wasn't able to get anything other than mode=1 to work and I assume
it's due to ARP issues.  Everything in dom0 works just fine, but as soon
as a domU tries to ping something on the same subnet, its connection
drops.

It seems to me that bonding, bridging, and Xen don't really work.  Why
else would there be no formal documentation on this from Xen/Xensource,
Red Hat, etc? =)

John

While it's not "official" documentation, I have a how-to written for Xen + bonding + vlans on RHEL 5 using mixed bond modes (1 and 4 LACP).
http://www.certifried.com/files/Xen_networking.odt

again, this is all on RHEL 5, so you maybe won't get so much out of it since you're running Debian. So far we have 6 bridges configured that are each on different VLANs and I can mix and match any combination inside the VM (up to 4 of couse since that's the eth limit inside a VM currently). This all over bonded copper (mode 1) and bonded fiber (mode 4).

Mark