Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu Gutsy as dom0

> > GNUbie wrote:
> > > [1] Is it possible that for domU [1] and [2] (above) to use their own
> > > stock kernel and not using dom0's kernel?
> >
> > Yes, this is possible.
>
> This assumes one is using an AMD or Intel chip with the appropriate "VT"
> hooks, though, no?

If the distros in question also supply Xen-enabled kernels then this should be
possible (with some caveats):

RHEL / CentOS only supply PAE-enabled Xen kernels, so you'd need a PAE Xen to
host them.

If the guest kernel uses newer features than your Xen has available then it
won't work; however, most guest kernels probably have compatibility for older
Xens built in so this is less likely to be a problem.

For HVM you should be able to boot any native x86 kernel with the same
or "lesser" memory mode (i.e. a non-PAE Xen only boots non-PAE HVM.  PAE Xen
boots both PAE and non-PAE HVM).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.