RE: [Xen-users] how to install Windows without hardware support

To: "Petro, Christopher C." <petro@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] how to install Windows without hardware support
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:44:19 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:45:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When you figure the cost of buying a new low to mid range server to
> replace 4 or 5 existing servers, with power, cooling and space
> reclaimation your ROI is pretty good.

This, for me, is one of the real benefits of virtualisation. We are
mainly a HP shop so I'll use their products as a reference - the DL140
can be had for a few thousand $AUD and has basic hot swap RAID support,
but no redundancy in PSU's, and I think no redundancy in fans, and
probably not in memory either. If you want those sort of features you
have to start spending 3-5 times that on something like a DL380, but you
end up with a server which probably has way more power than you need. By
using virtualisation you can get the higher reliability and fault
tolerance of a more expensive system, instead of lower reliability and
fault tolerance on several less expensive systems.

Sure you've now got all your eggs in one basket, but it's a much higher
quality basket :)

James