[Xen-users] Re: 3D acceleration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: 3D acceleration
From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla <andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:00:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:00:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> is running i.e. linux
 in a domU and using http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/
 for GL-applications to run those on the graphiccard attached to
 dom0.

> I actually need multi-threaded D3D support.
> (But OpenGL is useful for other apps)

Yah, I don't support D3D or Windows (and that is very unlikely to happen in the future). You can always try to stack D3D on top of OpenGL with wine, but that's unlikely to perform decently (or provide multi-threading.)

> What does "at the moment" mean? Is this a planned feature, or even already
> in development?

> It's dependent on the video chipset manufacturers publishing specs,
> such as ATI just did. (Yay, ATI.).

I disagree, it depends on people porting the 3D API's to virtual machine-friendly libraries, which is what vmgl (old xen-gl) does.

ATI releasing the specs is a promising step for enabling open-source drivers. But from my p.o.v. that only means we'll get robust xen dom0 drivers, instead of hacking the few parts of the driver that are visible and praying. Providing 3D accel to domU's is another business.

My two cents
Andres