Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration

To: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 3D acceleration
From: Daniel Spies <daniel.spies@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:31:12 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:33:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the quick reply!

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:19:45 +0200, Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:05:15PM +0200, Daniel Spies wrote:
>>
>> I recently was searching for information about 3D acceleration in a Xen
>> guest, but sadly I found only some probably outdated information from
> 2005.
>> Is it possible to use 3D acceleration to play games? I plan to buy a new
>> CPU in order to get this Intel-VT technology, but this is the main
>> condition... If yes, are there any other requirements?
>
> Its not supported in a generic way that works with 3d-applications in
> windows/linux/whatever running in the domU.
> The only way to use 3d-applications at the moment

What does "at the moment" mean? Is this a planned feature, or even already
in development?

> is running i.e. linux
> in a domU and using http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/
> for GL-applications to run those on the graphiccard attached to
> dom0.

I actually need multi-threaded D3D support.
(But OpenGL is useful for other apps)

>> Another small question: Does Xen Support Seamless Window?
> No. Guess the most performant way to get this is to use virtual-
> box, afaik they can also use the svm/vt-extension of cpus nowadays.

Never mind, this is not that important, and I think Virtual Box does not
allow 3D acceleration anyway. Even VMWare, allowing simple DirectX8
support, still
emulated a 3d graphics card, what leads to very poor performance.

Cheers,
Daniel