Re: [Xen-users] Kernel Panic in booting Xen 3.1 on Dell PowerEdge Server

Hmm, I didn't have to make any special config changes, so I'm not sure
whats going on here.  Can you verify that ehci-hcd.ko actually exists in
/lib/modules/2.6.18-xen/kernel/drivers/usb/host/?

Just a thought, are you using 64-bit or 32-bit?  I'm using 64-bit.  And
just to clarify, are you installing from tarball, rpm or source (AFAIK,
rpm install builds the initrd automatically) ?

Mart

Adit Ranadive wrote:
> Oops .. sorry about that .. Here is the xen 3.1 grub.conf:
>
> default=0
> timeout=15
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-55.0.6.ELsmp)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.0.6.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ noapic rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-55.0.6.ELsmp.img
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-55.0.6.EL)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL ro root=LABEL=/ noapic rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL.img
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-55.ELsmp)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ noapic rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-55.ELsmp.img
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS-up (2.6.9-55.EL)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.EL ro root=LABEL=/ noapic rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-55.EL.img
> title  Xen-SmartIO-2.6 (Compiled)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xen-3.1.0.gz
>         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/sdb2 console=tty0
>         module /initrd-xen.img
>
> Nothing unusual about the lines above the kernel panic just the
> regular init stuff.
>
> I did depmod before mkinitrd but the initrd doesnt seem to be picking
> up the ehci-hcd module for some reason.
> Did you have to do any special config changes to make the initial ramdisk ?
>
> Thanks,
> Adit
>

> On 9/18/07, Martin Goldstone <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got Xen 3.1 running on a couple of 1950's here with SAS drives (I'm
> running CentOS 5 though, not RHEL4u5, but I can't see that causing the
> problem you're seeing).  I encountered a few problems to begin with, and
> one or two still trip me up when I set up a new server (I swear,
> sometimes it can't decide whether it wants root=LABEL=/ or
> root=/dev/sdXX, mostly its the latter IIRC).  You might want to try
> playing with that.
>
> I know it might seem stupid, but you did depmod it, didn't you?  That
> caught me out on a couple of occasions.  I'd also make sure you
> explicitly include sd_mod, scsi_mod and any megaraid modules you can
> find in your initrd. Also, your grub.conf doesn't show the same files
> that your mkinitrd command does, can you verify you are definately using
> a kernel that was compiled with xen 3.1?
>
> Also, is there any meaningful output above those lines that you've
> mentioned from the panic?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mart

- --
Martin Goldstone                Keele University, Keele,
IT Systems Administrator        Staffordshire, United Kingdom, ST5 5BG
Computing Services              Telephone: +44 1782 584457

"I feel a great disturbance in the network, as if millions of
processes cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced"
                                                Boyd Duffee