RE: [Xen-users] Windows2003 P2V migration, need help creating a shrunken

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows2003 P2V migration, need help creating a shrunken disk image.
From: Julien Croquant <julien_croquant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:44:30 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 04:47:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a windows server with a 250G drive
>
> the drive is partitioned as follows.
> partition 1: dell utility partition
> partition 2: fat32 windows c: partition
> partition 3: extended partition
> partition 5: logical NTFS partitition.
>
> NTFS partition was setup with 220G. but only
> about 18G was being used, so i shrank NTFS down to 50G.
>
> now i want to make a drive image to create a HVM domain.
>
> how can I create the image so that is is not contain the 170G or so of
> free space i freed up?
>
> technically i need the image with partition2 and partition5
> which has the MBR code to boot from partition2

You d'ont have to make a drive image, but instead you have to do partitions images.
Depends of your setup. If you wan to use a whole drive for your Windows VM then what about just using your current disk ?
If you want to share the drive, just use dd to copy partitions as seperate disks.
Another possibility is to copy your disk into a file with dd, limiting to copy size to the ending of your last partition (add some Gb to be sure if you prefer).

This really depends of your setup.