Re: [Xen-users] LVM and VMM

I don't think it works to assign partitions on dom0 as partitions on
domU.  I think you have to assign partitions on dom0 as whole block
devices on domU.  So, you'd make an LV on dom0, assign it as hda (or
whatever) in the config file, and then using the OS installer, break
it up into more partitions and LVs.

I use Fedora, and the text only installer doesn't do LVM very well, so
I pre-configure my LV from inside dom0.  Here's how:

(Note: this syntax may not be correct as I'm just running from memory,
but it should point you in the right direction.)

- First make an LV, I'll call it /dev/vg/fred
- Run fdisk /dev/vg/fred and divide into two partitions.  The 1st is 500
  Megs for /boot the 2nd gets the rest of the space
- run kpartx -a /dev/vg/fred to create /dev/mapper/vg-fredp1 and
  /dev/mapper/vg-fredp2
- make /dev/mapper/vg-fredp2 a PV with pvcreate
- make a new vg, I'll call it barney, with /dev/mapper/vg-fred2 as
  it's only member PV.
- create LVs for your domU e.g. lvcreate -n swap -L 1G barney
- deactivate that VG - vgchange -a n barney
- remove /dev/mapper/vg-fredp1 and /dev/mapper/vg-fredp2 by running
  kpartx -d /dev/vg/fred

When you boot the system installer, it should find all those
partitions and LVs.  You must tell it to format each one.

Hope that helps.

If anyone out there has reason to believe there is a better way to do
this, please let me know!

-Dylan