Re: [Xen-users] Network connection problem (ssh,nfs)

To: Matthew Haas <haas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network connection problem (ssh,nfs)
From: Lars Staun Knudsen <debs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:39:51 +0200
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:39:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Matthew Haas wrote:
> What I ended up doing, after some digging: My xenbr0, peth0, etc.
> devices on the dom0s all were using the same MAC address
> (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:fe or something like that)... I found a modified
> /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script that would let you set the MAC
> address of these interfaces via some variable at the start of the
> script... so I went and made sure all my Xen machines had unique MAC
> addresses for their bridge interfaces.
Hi Matthew
I read your mail regarding MAC and I started looking in a new
direction and searching the maillist etc.
Then I noticed that ARP was enabled on the NIC's and I disabled it.
That combined with the ethtool trick has been a successful solution
(a stable ssh connection for 9+ hours, so I'm hoping).

> I don't know if it has "fixed the glitch"... as during this I had a set
> of domUs that worked just fine, and yet others, hosted on the same
> machine, would refuse to work adequately. But it certainly makes the
> machines functional.

I'm a bit curious of that network script. Because in the beginning,
before I discovered the ARP-thing, I tried to change the MAC as you
described. Can you perhaps paste it? Are you using fixed
mac-addresses on the DomU's as well?

Thanks.

/Lars