Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen

To: David Morris <david.morris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen
From: Jonathon Jones <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:35:20 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:35:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I could be wrong, but I thought that some folks were asking that the drivers be made available for purchase separate from the XenEnterprise product.  i.e. They are willing to pay for it but don't have the need for Enterprise.  Isn't that similar to asking for the ability to purchase MS Outlook without buying Office Premium?

Just throwing another perspective out there.

Jon

David Morris wrote:
XenSource already has PV drivers, so I guess they already have all
information needed.

XenSource is a business with bills to pay. I am continually astounded that folks who expect to be paid a salary expect others to provide software for free. To release a product means there needs to be a business case which at least covers the costs.

As above, XenSource already has PV drivers, so if they paid for it,
they've paid already.

But they haven't paid the costs to isolate those drivers for release outside of the current context.

In any case, to develop device drivers for Windows requires the Platform SDK which can be downloaded from MSDN for free. Pick your favorite IDE and have at it.

To those who want drivers and claim the competence to support themselves, step up to the plate and write the drivers and then convince the folks who pay your salary that you should release them for free. That in the end is what open source is about ... everyone contributes and everyone benefits.

Dave Morris