Re: [Xen-users] Filesystem Corruption

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Filesystem Corruption
From: "Christoph Purrucker" <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:45:27 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 04:46:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Roman,

>> Our virtual machines have some filesystem corruption problems.
>> The filesystem is being mounted on read-only mode. When running fsck
>> command, everything goes ok.

I had this one time that in DomU a partition went read-only during normal
operation. fsck didn't find any errors as well. In the end, this was bad
hardware, you may read my posts in this lists' archive: They were all
because of bad hardware. Our new servers run under full load without any
errors since months.

Remember: The filesystem-driver holds parts of the fs' metadata in memory.
If the structure is getting corrupt, the driver will refuse to write any
block to the harddisk, so the filesystem on disk stays clean. If it
wouldn't refuse writes when there are corrupt fs structures in memory,
this would surely end in bad damage on the disk.

cu cp

--
Die Homepage meines Vertrauens: www.cpur.de