Re: [Xen-users] FullVirt to ParaVirt

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] FullVirt to ParaVirt
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:13:15 +0100
Cc: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:13:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a linux distro SME 7 that uses the 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP
> kernel. I would like to be able to set it up as a paravirtual instead
> of fullvirt. I have been following the "Convert physical server to VM"
> thread, would this work the same way for converting this distro to a
> paravirt setup?

I'd expect the conversion process to be rather similar.  It might actually be
easier...

You could compile a Xenified kernel for that OS image and build an appropriate
initrd.  Then you could either add a "boot Xen-aware kernel" option to your
menu.lst, or copy the kernel image + initrd to dom0's filesystem and specify
them directly in the paravirtual domain config.

Once you've built an appropriate paravirtual-style config for that domain, you
can boot it using xm create (and selecting the right kernel, if you elected
to use pygrub and store the kernel / initrd in the domain's filesystem).

Keep your fingers crossed, and the domain will probably detect that a load of
hardware (corresponding to the HVM machine it was installed in) has
disappeared, and that some new hardware (corresponding to the PV devices)
have arrived.  You'll need to e.g. configure networking to work with the new
devices.  To make the disks work, you could either configure the block driver
to export disks as hd* (to match your HVM config) or alter settings in the
guest to use xvd* directly.  If your guest uses LABEL= or UUID= to mount
filesystems then this shouldn't even be necessary.

Using this approach, you could probably even get the same image to "dual boot"
between HVM and PV modes by using a different xm config for each.  You'd have
to handle the distro's hardware detection grumbling about the hardware
changes each time you switched modes, and you'd need to make sure the network
came up correctly despite the net device changing!  (same for block, if
you're using device names directly)

Hope that helps some.  I'm suffering from caffeine withdrawal headaches right
now (coffee shortage), so I'm not at my best - I apologise for any
inaccuracies.

You might want to copy the VM's disk and try this all out on the copy.
That'll mean you can preserve the original HVM domain until you're sure the
conversion has worked.

HTH!
Cheers,
Mark