Re: [Xen-users] Any plans on paravirtualized Windows?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Any plans on paravirtualized Windows?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 04:27:16 +0100
Cc: Mathew Brown <mathewbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:27:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   I was wondering if there were any updates regarding Windows
>   paravirtualized guests?  After Citrix's recent purchase of XenSource,
>   does this look like it might be something we should expect to see
>   soon?  Thanks for your input.

There's no particular plans that I've heard of.  Windows XP and Windows Vista
can use paravirtualised device drivers (if you have them, they ship with
various commercial Xen solutions) to improve IO performance, but they can't
run fully paravirtualised.

AFAIK XenSource and Novell are working with MS on interoperability so maybe
this will yield something.  I remember seeing rumours that future versions of
Windows Server would be able to run paravirtualised on Xen, but I think this
is some way away.

In the meantime, you need HVM to run Windows, plus you have the option of
installing paravirt drivers if your Xen platform supports them.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!