[Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.2 Dom0: Guest Linux VM with root fs copied from

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.2 Dom0: Guest Linux VM with root fs copied from existing OS
From: "Chiu, PCM \(Peter\)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:24:45 +0100
Cc: "Chiu, PCM \(Peter\)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:25:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all, a new comer to the list.

I have loaded Xen server on a OpenSUSE 10.2 box and can create and run a
guest OpenSuse 10.2 VM ok.

But I have some trouble in setting up a guest VM using a looped image
file that contains the root file
system that I copied from an existing Suse 10.2/10/9 installation, or
even RedHat EL4 installation.

I tried the method described in the Xen V3.0 Users' manual to create an
image file, mount it, and copy all the system files under the root
directory on an existing Suse or RedHat installation.

But when I try to start the guest VM, I always get

   Boot loader didn't return any data

It appears that I need some steps to make the copied image bootable.

Did try to follow the points given on Page 77 to use losetup /dev/loop0
image and use grub> setup (hd0), but it complains "Files not found".

So look like some steps are missing here.

Anyone has some success or any idea about this?

Many thanks.

Peter