Re: [Xen-users] Citrix bought XenSource

To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Citrix bought XenSource
From: Newt Hansel <newt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:21:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi. This will be interesting to watch.  The press release states that:

   Citrix shares our commitment that our contributions to open
   source Xen continue strongly, with the community flourishing
   transparently without the constraints of commercial software
   development.

Citrix products are very useful - there is no doubt about that. Forgetting
the open source / proprietary argument for a moment, why has Citrix felt
that having a Metaframe server running on Linux is not worth while?  They
have ports for Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.  There is something not quite
right here, and it gives me pause, especially when Xen is poised to do
very well.

If Citrix falters with the open source Xen, then luckily we still have the
GPL'd code to work with.  Could it be that RedHat sees this as imminent?

   $ whois openxen.org
   Domain ID:D148879265-LROR
   Domain Name:OPENXEN.ORG
   Created On:15-Aug-2007 17:50:51 UTC
   Last Updated On:15-Aug-2007 17:50:53 UTC
   Expiration Date:15-Aug-2008 17:50:51 UTC
   Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
   Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED
   Registrant ID:41430260-NSI
   Registrant Name:Red Hat, Inc.
   Registrant Organization:Red Hat, Inc.