Re: [Xen-users] domU migration

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:58:14PM +0100, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Denny Schierz wrote:
> >or instead off shutting down, use "pause" and "restore".
> >
> I don't recommend that. If your migration is not in such a crying rush,
> better to have the system cleanly shut down and rebooted. This allows
> you the opportunity to set any other configuration changes needed in
> migrating it to the other service, such as network and memory.
>
> Also, when I last tried it, it failed miserably, so I've not pursued it.
> It may work well for you: I first started working with Xen almost a year
> ago, and things change and get fixed.

Last time I tried this it also crashed and burned, creating massive
corruption on the block device in the process, so I assumed it was
not possible.

Here's what I did:

- paused the domain

- created new logical volume with exactly the same name/path on other dom0

- used dd to copy the content of original logical volume to the new
  one

- copied the xen save file over to new dom0

- restored from this save file

- saw lots of error messages about IO errors and filesystem
  inconsistencies, domain then paniced before I could shut it down

so if this is meant to work I'd suggest there are bugs in it.

Cheers,
Andy