[Xen-users] Using mainline PVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Using mainline PVM
From: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:13:01 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:13:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey folks,
        I have a non-VT/Pacifica box.  I have happily running PVM domUs
with distro kernels.  I need to test some mainline code (unrelated to
virtualization).  Xen 3.1 x86_64 in dom0.  So, I build a mainline 32bit
kernel with CONFIG_XEN.  The files in arch/i386/xen seem to be built
just fine, but I can't figure out what object to boot.  bzImage fails
with:

Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n')

        I also tried vmlinux.bin, which gets the same.  I tried
arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux, but that gets:

        Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', "elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF
image: No ELF notes or '__xen_guest' section found.\n")

        Lastly I tried vmlinux from the toplevel kernel source
directory, and that just appears to hang the domU.
        What am I doing wrong?  Is there a particular make target I'm
supposed to use?  A particular kernel image file I'm not seeing?

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #407

        "Every once in a while, take the scenic route."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx