Re: [Xen-users] 64bit dom0, 32bit domU, glibc?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 64bit dom0, 32bit domU, glibc?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:23:50 +0100
Cc: Joseph Smith <smithj@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:24:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> i'm using xen 3.1 and i have a 64bit dom0 and 32bit (PAE enabled) domUs
> (32bit userland and kernels). Do I still need to replace glibc w/ one
> compiled with -mno-tls-refs in the domUs? I don't get the warning about
> glibc during the domU boots.

No, you don't need to do that.

The TLS refs problem happened because 32-bit Xen and glibc both want to do
crazy things with the processor's segmentation hardware.  32-bit Xen needs
the segmentation for its own protection.

64-bit Xen doesn't protect itself using segmentation, so it's not necessary to
do anything to prevent a conflict with glibc.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.