Re: [Xen-users] copying a vm to a different machine?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] copying a vm to a different machine?
From: Geoff Kirk <geoff.k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:04:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:04:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm not going to say this is best way but i done this recently.

1st of all rsync the host over, i snapshot the running domU mount it (the snapshot) then rsync to a formatted LVM volume on the other host. I use this method for hourly/daily/weekly backups and the script goes like this.

   lvremove -f /dev/lvmhdc1/mysql.hourly
   lvcreate -s -L1G -n mysql.hourly /dev/lvmhdc1/mysql
   mount /dev/lvmhdc1/mysql.hourly /backups/mysql.hourly
   rsync -azH /backups/mysql.hourly/ 192.168.0.15:/backups/mysql.hourly/
   umount /backups/mysql.hourly

That as suggests removed the last snapshot, makes a new one then copies changes over to the other host. I dare not say this is failsafe with a running domU but its not let me down yet.

Geoff.

Mike H wrote:
What's the proper way of doing this? I have a vm that I keep shut off as a template on one machine. I'd like to push it out to other xen hosts. What is the best way of doing this?

Thanks