Re: [Xen-users] mem-set

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mem-set
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 03:37:57 +0100
Cc: Harish Chauhan <c_harish38@xxxxxxxxx>, trilok nuwal <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>, Denny Schierz <linuxmail@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:38:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Guest (r4u5_32) : RHEL4 Update5 32-Bit  i.e. r4u5_32 is a HVM
>   Host OS : RHEL4U4 with Xen 3.1.0-13

Ah.

I think that the paravirt drivers for HVM guests that are shipped in the 3.1
source tree do allow you to use mem-set with HVM guests.  So you should be
able to make this sort-of work if you install those...

I'd think you'll only be able to shrink an HVM guest relative to its original
allocation.  I could be wrong though, maybe the mem= trick Denny mentioned
for PV guests would work on HVM as well.

In any case, you could work around this by creating HVM guests with the
largest memory you ever want them to have, then shrinking them down to
something more reasonable.

Cheers,
Mark

>   Regards,
>   HC
>
> trilok nuwal <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Which OS as dom0  are u using ? and r4u5_32 is HVM or PV domain.
>
> I suspect mem-set on HVM domain to work, it requires some paravirt driver
> supports.
>
> Thanks,
> Trilok
>
>   On 8/7/07, Harish Chauhan <c_harish38@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Hello,
>
>   I created a Guest VM (r4u5_32) with maxmem = 1024 & memory=512.  After
> booting the Guest OS, I increased the value using mem-set 784
>
>   #xm mem-set r4u5_32  784
>
>   #xm list shows 784 but  #cat /etc/proc/meminfo inside the VM shows 512 MB
> only.
>
>   Can you explain the behavior ?
>
>   Look forward to your reply.
>
>   Thanks in advance...
>
>   Regards,
>   HC

> Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's
> on, when.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!