Re: [Xen-users] Advice on PCIe graphics card for Xen+X86_64 for X

To: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Advice on PCIe graphics card for Xen+X86_64 for X
From: Luis Torres <luis.torres@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:29:09 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:26:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian Horn wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 12:33:55PM +0100, Luis Torres wrote:

I used a ScienticLinux 5.0 distro (mimics RedHat 5.0 but merged the
Server and Enterprise versions) in a x86_64 arch. I ran into a problem,
because while I can have X in the normal kernel, the Xen kernel, when I
boot in dom0 is in text mode and can't load the Nvidia module. This is
because Nvidia does not support Xen. There seems to be some patches for
other distros (Suse, freeBSD) but I am afraid those might not work here
... anyway I want to avoid this.

Havent tried with x86_64 but for i386 the patch at
http://fluxcoil.net/files/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1_xendom0.patch
should do for any distro, kernel 2.6.18 running here.

I am not so sure. In the Suse mailing list someone reported compile errors in RedHat. Also even if it compiles  I am afraid side effects might result later. Otherwise Nvidia would simply make an official patch available. I want to do some work not games, so I am concerned. Thanks anyway.

2) Is there a way that I could have both graphic cards installed so I
could use the more powerful one when I boot with the normal kernel and
the new one for Xen+X, when booting under the Xen kernel?

Guess the intel-chipsets with 3d-functions should work best under xen,
i am not aware of external (not included into motherboard chipset) graphic
cards with intel-chips thou. And they are a bit slower than decent nvidia
and ati-chips, but its enough for compbiz and some games.

Well I agree. I also looked for intel-chipsets for PCIe and couldn't find (only embedded in MB).
But for now I would be happy with a simple PCI Express x16 graphics card (not accelerated) which works well under Xen and the x86_64 architecture, suitable for kernel 2.1.18. using drivers that come w/ the distro.
Likely there is people in the list using Xen+X86_64, with a PCIe graphics card and successfully using X.
I would appreciate if they say which card they use. Thanks.

Luis

Regarding question 2), note that what I want to do is slightly different
from what was discussed in the forum earlier. That is  only 1 card would
be used for each booting configuration (but both would be physically in
the system)

Read on people trying to dedicate pci-cards to domUs, but havent really
heard success-stories yet.

Christian