Re: [Xen-users] Domain duplication

To: Benjamin Watine <watine@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Domain duplication
From: mpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:37:09 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:34:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Benjamin Watine <watine@xxxxxxxx>:

> Hi the list, first post here !
>
> I would like to duplicate v3.0.3 xen domain configured with file volume.
>
> So I configured a new VM using virt-install script. After installation
> process finished, I copy (duplicate) the file volume and the
> configuration file. I edit name, disk, mac address on vif on the config
> file, and quote uuid parameter.
>
> (First : how to deal with this uuid ? Removing it is OK ? Can I put the
> uuid I want ?)
>
> I run the new duplicated machine. All seems to be OK, but the network
> interface doesn't work anymore. Xen seems to have recreated a new
> interface (eth0), and have renamed the old in eth0.bak.
>
> I would like to know how to avoid that ; I would like that eth0 remains
> configured like it was before duplication.
>
> Maybe I don't use a good method for duplicating domains. If anyone have
> some documentation to do that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben

If I understand correctly, this sounds like a similar problam to the one
encountered by Tomoki Taniguchi earlier today. Depending upon your Linux
Distro/version, look for an entry corresponding to eth0 in either /etc/iftab or
/etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules and delete it. Next, if the
config for the interface is stored in a file named as per the MAC address, eg
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcg-eth-id-00:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa, you need to rename that
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcg-eth-id-00:bb:bb:bb:bb:bb, where the new name matches
the new MAC address on the clone.

The problem is that eth0's configuration is tied to the MAC address from the
machine you cloned, this MAC address doesn't exist on your copy. Removing the
lines from the above mentioned files and renaming the config file will enable
eth0 to be configured for the interface of your new DomU.

--
Mike Peters
Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com