[Xen-users] context switch time in Xenolinux

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] context switch time in Xenolinux
From: Songtao Liu <songtao.liu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:09:31 +0200
Bcc:
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:07:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have used lmbench to test the performance of Xenolinux (HVM)

CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 T7400@xxxxxxx
Memory size: 1GB
NIC: Intel PCIe Gigabit LAN chip
HD:  Samsung 80GB/7200rpm/8M

Dom0: 2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6xen
DomU: 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6

The context switch time seems saturated along with increasement of processes?
e.g.
size of processes 64kB
N=number of process
t=context switch time

when N<32, t will be stable only about 10µs
when N=64, t will increase to about 150 µs
N=92, t will also keeps about 150µs

Is it possible, that there will be an infinit serie of plateaus with different
range of N(number of processes) like so:
N<50 t=10µs
50<100 t=150µs
100<200 t=1ms

How can it be explained?