[Xen-users] Re: No adsl in dom0 - Fedora 7

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: No adsl in dom0 - Fedora 7
From: Arik Raffael Funke <arik@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 02:14:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:18:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Harper wrote:
How is your Ethernet set up? Perhaps something in the firewall is
causing bridged PPPoE packets to be dropped? Perhaps the DSLAM at the
other end of your DSL connection doesn't like a MAC address somewhere?
(I can't remember if the Dom0 bridging changes the MAC address...)

The simplest way to rule out all of the above out would be to boot up
and not let xend start, so it never shuffles the network interfaces
around. Then see if your PPPoE connection works.

Thanks James. But that wasn't it. I did not mention it before, but my network interfaces are brought up before xend. I gave disabling xend a try anyways just to make sure, but the results was negative...

I have however remarked another detail that I believe might be linked to (or the cause of?) my problem.

In dom0 when trying to bring up my adsl connection I get the following line before the first error occurs:

Jul 17 00:08:21 gaia pppd[3494]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1

This line puzzles me because in four years I have never seen "/dev/pts/1" used to connect to my adsl modem. It was ALWAYS "/dev/pts/0"! Of course this might a perfectly appropriate renaming of devices as happens a lot with xen but...

Can anybody shed any light on this?

- Arik