Re: [Xen-users] Re: xen RHEL5/x86_64 @everything installs hang on blocke

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: xen RHEL5/x86_64 @everything installs hang on blocked state
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:37:52 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:35:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Axel Thimm wrote:

> Actually I found the cause and I strongly disagree with the above:

With which part exactly? (You cited two statements)

> The
> reason the domU was blocking was because it didn't have enough memory
> in the default setup. Once the memory limits were increased it worked
> fine.

I think, this is an issue of the Redhat Xen installer(I assume you are
not trying to manually run anaconda somehow but use virt-install), not
Xen in general.

Why?
1) this problem never occured to me with xen-tools on Debian and Yast on
SuSE

2) Sure, a user has always the chance to make wrong settings and break
stuff, but in your case, the writers of the Redhat Xen install scripts
should know how much memory is needed by their anaconda.

So, it is undoubtedly easy to check for them at the very start, and at
least give out a visible warning that you try to run the stuff with not
enough memory, instead of let you run into a strange blocking state.
( In case I missed you writing you found the fix through such a warning,
I admit you that point!)

Henning