[Xen-users] Xen 3.03 - no DMA memory available

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.03 - no DMA memory available
From: "Emre ERALTAN" <eeraltan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 17:52:36 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:50:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am trying to install a broadcom ethernet controller into Dom0 (RHEL 5)...I have compiled the broadcom sources with Xen kernel sources...

First, I have used the private pool in kernel memory mode, i.e. the module will try to assemble a physically contiguous of memory using the kernel page allocator. This memory block is then administered by the mpool allocation functions. Note that once a system has been running for a while, the memory fragmentation may prevent the allocator from assembling a contiguous memory block, however, if the module is loaded shortly after system startup, it is very unlikely to fail.

This leads to a kernel panic telling that the pgalloc function which allocate memory ressources has failed...

Then I have tried to use the private pool in high memory mode, i.e. the module will assume that unused physical memory is present at the high_memory address, i.e. memory not managed by the Linux memory manager. This memory block is mapped into kernel space and administered by the mpool allocation functions. High memory must be reserved using either the mem=xxx kernel parameter (recommended), or by hardcoding the memory limit in the kernel image.
Thus, once Dom0 has booted,  I have used the insmod function with a special option to enable the private pool in high memory mode. Now, I can see that the module is loaded but I get an error telling "no DMA memory available"...

So my question is, How can I give DMA memory to this ethernet controller into Dom0 ?