[Xen-users] HVM Linux just installed but does not do its first boot

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM Linux just installed but does not do its first boot
From: Сергей Лукашевич <lukash33@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:15:39 +0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:13:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just successfully installed SLES9.3-32bit as file-backended HVM domU.

Everything went OK, the distributive partitioned its "harddisk" into root and
swap OK, have its grub installed into sda boot sector, but I could not make to
boot no one single first time after installation. Every domU boot gives the
following screen for a short time and dies:

Booting from Hard Disk...

Boot from Hard Disk failed: could not read the boot disk

FATAL: No bootable device.

I beleive this it QEMU output, is not it?

So when I place a Knopix (bootable linux) CD image into domUs cdrom, my domU
does recognise the /dev/sda disk just fine: I could run even fdisk, fsck, and
mount.

here is the domU config file I used:

import os, re

arch = os.uname()[4]

if re.search('64', arch):

    arch_libdir = 'lib64'

else:

    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

builder='hvm'

memory = 512

vcpus=2

name = "sles9.3-32bit"

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=aa:a0:01:ad:a0:a0, bridge=xenbr0' ]

disk=['file:/IMG/sles9.3-32bit.disk,sda,w']

#disk=['file:/IMG/sles9.3-32bit.disk,sda,w','file:/ISO/Knoppix-5.0.1.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']

device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

#boot="d"

sdl=1

vnc=0

vncunused=1

vncconsole=0

stdvga=0

I am not a novice in Linux and do not suspect I made a mistake installing it
for some 1000th time. So why disk not recognised by XEN? Could not find an
answer so far.

Environment: XEN3.1, dom0 runs SLES9.3-64bit, SUN X4600 server.