Re: [Xen-users] at the end of my wits

To: "David Greenberg" <dgrnbrg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] at the end of my wits
From: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 01:02:07 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:00:03 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=p0r2i2l0yW+1ISL8qd2ZrPI1krgM5PH1Dz6NS6UtSeLgJJltWQYxvtV/fy8VHib94me5fFUQ2/1tV2ftfNd6OmILahKHP15SuMCnncdzSIlA7GF98pYQUd8BL/95Il8hbwaf1A3OI+djniC0zkLNa0Zp0bPSo0RzrUjUMtjJfhE=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> I have determined that my problem seems to be occuring during the
> ramdisk's (initrd) loading of modules, before the kernel even gets to
> start booting.  There's problems with the ata drivers.  The thing is,
> no amount of remaking or fiddling with my initrd contents seems to fix
> this, but I'm no Linux guru so maybe there is a fix.

I'm no expert either. although we seem to have the same problem, I
think mine is IRQ related.

comparing dmesg and cat /proc/interrupts I could see (from memory)
that the sata device conflicted with pci-x bus, so I changed the sata
setting in the bios to compatible (S-ATA only).
a USB hub conflicted with pci-x video card, so I disactivated usb
funcionality in the bios.
One NIC conflicted with an IRQ that I could see come up during boot
using dmesg, but wasn't present in /proc/interrupts, so I removed it
anyway and activated the onboard NIC. (luckily that didn't create any
new conflicts).
So, now I've got s server with no cdrom or usb, but Xen boots 100% of
the time! (fingers crossed).
After looking at sooo many threads I get the feeling that the
hipervisor or dom0 (I don't know which), gets a corrupt acpi table
from the bios.

> Chris, does your system use an initrd or does it boot straight from
> the kernel?  This might be useful information, although I don't know
> what it would tell us at this point.

I'm not too up on the boot process.
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen root=/dev/md2 ro console=tty0
module /initrd.img-xen-3.1.0

I think the hipervisor boots (don't know how) and calls dom0 which
then boots itself on the initramfs. or something like that.

> I have determined that my problem seems to be occuring during the
> ramdisk's (initrd) loading of modules,
Same here, it all happens before the switchroot.

Hey Steve, if you've still got that machine around and can be
bothered, who knows?
I seemed to have stumbled out of a problem I still can believe I really had!

Anyway, I've had two of these bad eggs in a row (I still haven't tried
this on p5pdelux) and it makes me wonder what I should be looking out
for when I buy a motherboard.
God's blessing?

Cheers.
Chris.

On 7/3/07, David Greenberg <dgrnbrg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe that certain parts of the chipset are unsupported in kernel
2.6.18.  Ubuntu feisty has Xen ported to 2.6.19, and that will successfully
boot on the Asus motherboard 100% of the time.  I got it to boot and
recognize all 7 internal sata drives I was using.  There is a potential bug
that may affect you if you use driver domains, however.  I didn't isolate
the bug, but be aware that it potentially exists (softraid corruption when
using a driver domain with 6 usb controllers and the only graphics card
passed to it).

Cheers,
David