[Xen-users] Re: Resizing Windows LVM makes it unbootable

To: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Resizing Windows LVM makes it unbootable
From: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:16:48 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:29:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 01:42:23PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 10:53 +0530, Ligesh wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >    I have a working windows lvm of 1.62GB size. I just do an lvextend +1Gb
> > on it, and then the Guest gets stuck at 'booting from harddisk' the initial
> > stage. Is there something more I should do? I had tried getting it working
> > with parted etc, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there some documentation
> > on manipulating windows image files and the partitions inside them?
> >
> >    Thanks.
> >

> I don't know if qemu has a way to talk to ioctl inside of the guest from
> the host, but when dealing with slices this is to be expected. I mean
> outside of just passing sysrqs. I try to avoid slicing VBDs for this
> reason.
>
> In essence you made the universe bigger but forgot to inform the laws of
> physics to take it into account. A better way to obviate that is to
> consider the reverse, making the universe smaller while the old laws
> still apply. If you had taken 1G, it would have been even worse.

 As such, would it matter for a small part of the universe if the whole was now
larger? I am not _stretching_ the lv, but merely extending it. Theoretically, I
was expcting the initial segments to be completely oblivous of the change. I
mean, I am not expecting windows to automatically fill to the extended device,
but I am not expecting it to crash like this at the very beginning either.
Anyway, I have tried creating a fresh disk using parted, and copying using
ntfsclone, but that doesn't work either.

 Btw, the universe IS expanding even as we speak, but the humans on earth here
continue to carry out their inconsequential and ultimately pointless lives even
without spending a moment reflecting about this. If it is possible for these
pesky humans, why not the harddisk?

> Re-sizing a sliced block device is re-sizing many file systems at once.

 I am not ignoring the file system resize. I am using ntfsresize for that. But
should the guest refuse to boot itself, merely because of the resize?

> Unless you have a tool that talks and listens to the ioctl API on every
> file system on both ends, its really problematic. Its one of the biggest
> reasons I really prefer PV guests is the complications they avoid.

 Of course, for linux, I won't even bother going for Full Virt. But for
windows, I don't know, if only MS would allow PV.

 Thanks for the response.