Re: [Xen-users] DomU after migration

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU after migration
From: mail4dla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:36:27 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:34:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

that's fast...

On 6/13/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
You mean besides logging into the Dom0 of the new machine and parsing
the output of "xm list" or similar? Not sure that there is any easy way
to do this.

Exactly. Well, then I'll have to resort to parsing. Shouldn't be to bad as the domain name is guaranteed to be unique, isn't it?

> Could anybody give me a hint how the NIC frontends are
> created and configured after migration, e.g., are the network
> scripts called or is a different mechanism invoked?

As far as I know, in PV-domains, it works by sending some new ARP
messages to the network, and that will make any switches/routers realize
that there is a new location for the IP address of the migrated domain.

Not entirely sure how it works on HVM domain.

Well, in my setup, this doesn't work reliably, but this currently is no issue for me (so I did not dig into it yet to find out whether it is my fault or Xen's).
However, this is not what I am curious to know: How does Xen determine to which bridge the vifX.Y has to be connected and is there a way to influence this, e.g., if the bridges are named differently on the remote system?

dla