Re: [Xen-users] Dumb 32 on 64 question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dumb 32 on 64 question
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:33:44 +0100
Cc: Dylan Martin <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:32:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm unclear about what 32 on 64 means and how one uses it.
>
> I have a 64 bit box running a 64 bit Xen 3.1.0 and a 64 bit dom0.
>
> I want to install a 32 bin HVM domU.  Do I need to do anything
> special?

Not that I know of...  32-on-64 is specifically a feature for PV guests; HVM
has been able to run 32-bit OSes on a 64-bit platform for ages.

> The new 32-on-64 features in 3.1.0 are only for PV guests and not for
> HVM, right?

I *think* that 32-on-64 might enable you to use paravirtualised devices in
your 32-bit HVM guests where previously you couldn't.  I'm not 100% on this
though.

> Will it just act like I was running a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware or
> will it pretend to be 32 bit hardware?

Yep, I reckon that'll work.

> Will it use more memory like an OS in 64 bits?

It'll be running in 32-bit mode, so this shouldn't be the case.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!