Re: [Xen-users] Re: Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image

To: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:22:21 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:22:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fr, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:44:30 +0200, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Mark, Martin and Igor,
>
> Thank you for your quick responses. I got a little further already.
>
> I converted my qcow diskfile to raw as suggested by Igor, I explicitly added
> device for the cdrom entry, I also removed the cdrom entry completely...
>
> vncviewer localhost::5910 results in the same error message (connection
> refused). I assume this means the vnc server isn't running ?
>
> Then I noticed that qemu-dm.<pid>.log contains this:
> domid: 5
> qemu: the number of cpus is 1
> shared page at pfn:1ffff, mfn: 18dc2
> buffered io page at pfn:1fffd, mfn: 18dc4
> xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
>        /vm/89bf518d-a688-d763-30ba-b3755f934861/vncpasswd.
> Could not read keymap file: '/usr/share/xen/qemu/keymaps/be'
>
> I searched for the missing keymap, and indeed, "be" isn't listed. "nl-be" is,
> so I used that.
>
> With these changes, the vnc console pops up by itself (Yay!), but after a
> very
> short time only shows me a black screen. The top command shows that qemu-dm
> is using 100% cpu on one of the cores. When I remove the keyboard parameter,
> it's slightly different: the vnc console pops up, it detects my primary HD,
> then prints "Booting from Hard Disk..." and then just sits there, again with
> qemu-dm taking 100% cpu on one core.
>
> qemu-dm.<pid>.log now contains:
> domid: 7
> qemu: the number of cpus is 1
> shared page at pfn:1ffff, mfn: 1cdc2
> buffered io page at pfn:1fffd, mfn: 1cdc4
> xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
>        /vm/430a79b5-d4d5-92a7-82ef-b8be59f62749/vncpasswd.
> char device redirected to /dev/pts/5
> False I/O request ... in-service already: 0, pvalid: 0, port: 0, data: 0,
>                                    count: 0, size: 0
>
> xm list gives:
> [root@localhost ~]# xm list
> Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
> Domain-0                                   0     1488     2 r-----   1639.8
> WindowsXP                                  7      517     1 ------      0.2
> So there seems to be slightly more activity (0.2), although this time doesn't
> increase anymore.
>
> I have no idea how to proceed here. Any ideas ?

My idea is

try to run the domain from bootable cd (not from image)
and look what happens.

You must determine is the problem related to your image (which you
have converted) or from something else.

When you boot from CD system doesn't concern about
your virtual disk image (but it must exist if you have specified
it in the domU config file).

> By the way: although I explicitly set vncdisplay, the vncserver continues to
> look for an unused port, as ps shows:
> root     12440     1  0 11:27 ?        00:00:00
>         /usr/lib/xen/bin/xen-vncfb --unused --listen 0.0.0.0
>                                    --domid 7 --title WindowsXP
>
> I tried to add vncunused=0, but that resulted in an error message when
> creating the domain:
> Error: unsupported input type(s) for operand +: 'int' and 'str'.
> But this doesn't really matter anymore for my setup, so I disabled it again.

AFAIK, there is parameter in xend-config.sxp
which regulates what port (or screen number)
Xen vnc must use.

--
WBR, i.m.chubin