Re: [Xen-users] bonding + VLANs -> Oops/panic, no VLAN on 100 Mbit cards

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bonding + VLANs -> Oops/panic, no VLAN on 100 Mbit cards [SOLVED]
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:22:28 +0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 May 2007 19:21:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Well, with my current setup, bonding works on dom0.
> As it appears,only "sort of" - I have two issues at least:
>
> 1) I have about 1-2% packet losses - without bonding, I don't have
> such losses at all
>
> 2) when I try to do "arping <some_host>" from a Xen host, that host
> completely looses network connectivity (domains using VLANs don't
> loose the connectivity, though). A workaround is to use "arping -i
> bond0 <some_host>" - which is pretty strange, as hosts without Xen
> don't loose network connectivity in such case (yes, I understand that
> arping defaults to eth0 - but nevertheless, the host shouldn't loose
> network connectivity because of that).

Have you tried bonding in domU instead?
VLANs on Xen dom0 is reliable enough (provided you create the VLANs on
interfaces that xend doesn't touch, or disable network-bridge script in
xend-config.sxp). Regarding "live migrate the guest to a host which
doesn't have two cards", you can simply create an extra bridge on that
host which has no real physical interface attached, and bonding's ARP
monitor (not the MII monitor) should properly detect that network
connectivity on that interface is bad.

Regards,

Fajar