[Xen-users] Re: Status of frequency scaling

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Status of frequency scaling
From: Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:55:21 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 04:54:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:47:03AM +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:
Well, the current official status is "it doesn't work at all".

Hm, okay.

There are several problems, some of which are relatively easy to fix and
some that aren't:
2. There is no power-management policy for the entire system, so dom0
usage will determine the entire system's performance. This doesn't work
very well, as Dom0 isn't supposed to be heavily loaded, DomU's are.

Understandable. In my case, Dom0 would be by Desktop system while DomU would be the firewall (for now a different host), so I could live with this restriction.

3. Guest may need to be informed of the frequency change. Some kernels
may not appreciate that the CPU frequency is chaning "without it's
knowledge". [This is probably not a big problem on modern OS's, but some
older ones may be very un-co-operative on this account].

Ah yes, I remember, that a Solaris system within VMware server didn’t like the frequency changes of the Linux host.
I don’t have any problems with XP within VMware server at my notebook.

I have an AMD64. powerno-k8 works find with non-XEN kernels, but with XEN-kernels I get the error:

powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ processors (version 2.00.00)
powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
This is strange - as far as I can remember, I had powernow working on my
machine not so long ago (3.0.4 or so) with only the traps.c patched to
allow writing of the FID/VID controls registers.

Could you send me the patch for traps.c? I would like to try it.

You're doing this in Dom0 I take it? I don't expect this to work in DomU's.

Yes, of course in Dom0. For now I don’t have any DomU created.

Thanks for your answers!

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--